[TenTec] Re: My earlier post -- my last word (I promise!)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: My earlier post -- my last word (I promise!)
From: Gary Hoffman" <ghoffman@spacetech.com (Gary Hoffman)
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 21:32:55 -0500
Hi Caity,

Actually I quite agree with you.  My x wife was a ham...we got
into it together, had sequential calls and stuff for a while.  One
certainly could see the way the men reacted to her.  In a way, it
was kind of funny... watching the guys hit on her right in front of
me, so to speak.  Fortunately she was quite comfortable with the
whole thing, so we just enjoyed the humorous aspect of it.

She was interested in the hobby at first because of the public service
side of things, just as you mentioned.  Her father was an active ham and
active in the red cross, and so was her older brother.  She got interested
in it through them.

One thing that was different was that she became very active on the
HF bands.  One doesn't see that very much, as far as I am aware.  In
fact she became a highly proficient CW op, and used to chat in that mode
by the hour.  Kinda forced me to learn CW so I could armchair copy out
in the living room  :):)   Unfortunately we are no longer together, but we
had
fun in the hobby for quite some time.

Another trend in the hobby is that the average age of hams seems to be
increasing at an alarming rate.  (I'm an old fart of 50 myself).  We not
only need more women in the hobby, but also more young people.  For about
a four year period I taught ham radio license classes.  I also headed up a
local VEC group for some time.  Got about 100 people into the hobby.  More
people need to be active in recruiting hams, or soon there will be none.

Ok...off my soapbox.  I'm glad now that I kidded you Caity, because of
the fact that it has led to a very interesting discussion.  I'm sorry if I
stepped
on your toes a little bit... that was just my pitifully misplaced sense of
so called humor.

73 de Gary, AA2IZ