[TenTec] My earlier post -- my last word (I promise!)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] My earlier post -- my last word (I promise!)
From: KD5NWA@MBayona.com (KD5NWA)
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 08:44:35 -0600
I have noticed a trend that disturbs me quite a bit, a lot of hams refer to
amateur radio as just another hobby. The area of public service and
experimentation is not stressed enough to new hams, If that trend continues
then our value to society will not warrant the extensive allocation of
frequencies that we now have available, and there are plenty of commercial
outfits out there willing to pay cash for our bands. Also specially after
9/11 there are more people concerned about public service, we could stress
to them that having a ham license would allow them to participate in
emergency communications should a disaster strike.

By the way and I'm not hitting on you but, you are attractive and not very
old but you know that, I just had to mention it I have this thing about
people being positive about themselves, I've seen too many parents messing
up their kids life by constantly being negative about them and men/women
tearing each other apart with their negativity. This is not a lecture just a
comment.

As a woman in just about any society a lot of stuff is stacked against you,
since they are little girls they are constantly being told, that a girl
shouldn't do this or that, that they should wait on men, math is for
boys...etc. That's a lot of baggage to overcome, and if you do and become
self assertive like boys are told to be, then you are a "angry bitch". My
mother told me when I was young that life wasn't fair, she was a very smart
woman she was right. Eventually this mess might be straighten out but it
will take a long time, changing one opinion at a time.

Sorry for the long babbling and rambling.

Cecil
KD5NWA

-
Most women I know who are active hams are into public service work and
emergency communications, which is a form of helping the community.
Many like getting on the air and meeting people and making friends.
There seem to be a very decent percentage of women involved in working
QRP.  That tends to tie back into emergency communication.  Women seem
to be disproportionately involved in mentoring and educating.  Now, the
majority of people who do these things are men.  Somehow, though, they
never manage to communicate the wonderful sense of community, of
helping, of cooperation that can come out of a ham radio license to the
wider non-ham world.  Hence the lack of female participation.

> ((by the way...you single ?  will you marry me??

> Just kidding of course.  :)

I know you are kidding.  OTOH, I have been hit on at almost every
Hamfest I have ever gone to, and I am neither young nor beautiful.

If you want to discuss this let's take it off list and leave the
discussion here to Ten Tec radios.  I hope this post puts the on-list
discussion to bed.

My post did do one good thing:  it sure made a lot of y'all think :)

73,
Caity
KU4QD