[TenTec] Herc II Power Source Redux

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Herc II Power Source Redux
From: jimr.reid@verizon.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 13:26:59 -1000
Mike wrote,  in part:

> I had been advised that possibly placing two Astron power
> supplies in parallel was an option to provide power to the
> Herc II.

For three years now,  I have had two Astron RS-70M supplies
in parallel to power my Henry SS750 solid state amp.  Did
not know Ten Tec also had a solid state amp at that time,  hi.

The Astrons been doing a fine job.  Current from the Astron's runs
over to the amp via regular,  flexible battery wire.  Lighter wire from
each Astron's "sense" terminals runs over to the amp power
input terminal.  Both supplies see the same voltage at the
amp input,  the sense line adjust each supply's output to
hold the situation constant;  neither supply has any reason
to try and "outperform" the other,  hi.  Or,  said another way,
the "sense" feedback line insures that each power supply
"sees" the same load.

The set up operates FB over what ever range of output power
I happen to be using at a particular time.

BTW,  one Astron was NOT enough to power up the Henry
750 watt amp to full out,  even if 70 amps times the voltage
is well over 750 watts.  I believe the Astron rating must be
either a peak,  or only very short time draw.  Needed two
of them in parallel for a happy situation here.

73,  Jim  KH7M