[TenTec] Re: [Ten-Tec516] Don't Get Me Wrong . . .

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: [Ten-Tec516] Don't Get Me Wrong . . .
From: ve1dy@yahoo.com (Paul (ve1dy))
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 12:08:57 -0800 (PST)
Hi Ralph...

It sounds like you might be getting a few butterflies (hi).

I'll see if I can help by responding to some of your questions.

> However, I have bought the Argonaut V on the strength of Ten Tec's
> reputation as a quality manufacturer and their reputedly good
> customer service and equipment service when needed.

This was one of the main reasons for my going with the 516.

> I wonder if others out there have gotten their 516s and are they
> having fun with them?  Do you like the looks
> and "feel" of this rig?  Are you glad you bought it?  Is it giving
> you pleasure in communicating with others?

Yes they sure are a fun rig to use, and no menu(s) to fool with.
Everything you need is right there.  You should read the manual to find
out where some of the features are, but then you can put the manual on
the shelf.

It looks and feels great and I'm quite sure you will be pleased with
yours.

I bought my 516 to take with me to the backyard to operate from the
gazebo (c/w hammock), on the front porch, and on little outings.

I take it to work and use it mobile, with a Webster Bandspanner, mostly
when parked.  When I have to stay overnight, you can bet it will be
there!

Some nights I find my back bothers me sitting in the shack, so I grab
the 516 and my new 18 amp hour battery, and bring it into the spare
bedroom.  I run my extension coax into the room and connect it to the
Carolina Windom.  I have the Palm mini paddle, and when sending cw,
there is not a sound to be heard... no clicks, no pops, no nutt'in!

> Guess I'm just looking for reassurance
> that I haven't goofed-up big time.  Any thoughts?

Don't forget Ralph... if you are not happy with it, after playing with
it for a month, you can always decline, and it will only have cost you
shipping.

My experience is... you gotta try for your self.  If you went with what
others say, you'd be spinning in circles.

Good luck,

Paul, VE1DY
Halifax, NS

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/ppike