[TenTec] Re: [dx-list] CW Key Clicks and Filters

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: [dx-list] CW Key Clicks and Filters
From: david.shrader@attbi.com (Dave Shrader)
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 21:17:12 -0500
40 wpm has a 3 dB bandwidth of somewhere between 200 and 300 Hz. So,
some 'key clicks' will be noted within a 500 Hz bandwidth due to filter
shape factors [bandwidth at -60 dB] in the receiving radio. Another
source of false 'key clicks' is the third order intercept in the
receiving radio. Strong nearby signals cause the receiver to desense
slightly. This modulates the AGC in the receiving radio. If the
offending signal causes key clicks at S9+15 but not at S7 then the key
clicks are being generated in the receiving radio. If the offending
signal has key clicks at S9+15 and also at S2 then the keyclicks are
from the transmitter.

True key clicks are caused by excessively fast rise and fall times of
the keyed signal. They are not caused by the power level of the radio or
the amplifier.

Without a scope and a spectrum analyzer it is virtually impossible to
truly say a signal has 'key clicks' even though you or I may hear key
clicks in our radio!!

Deacon Dave, W1MCE