[TenTec] TRX power drain on Argo 516

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] TRX power drain on Argo 516
From: tlogan7@cox.net (tlogan7@cox.net)
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 23:27:09 -0700
Hi folks -
I want to make sure I am understanding this correctly. TenTec's specs show
that the Argo 516 draws 6A on cw TRX at 20 watt. Elecraft's K2  is (albeit
about 14watts) is almost half of that figure. The SGC2020ADSP is somewhat on
par with the K2. Unless there is some different means of defining the power
usage, this does not say a lot for the Argo 516 as far as a PORTABLE QRP
unit. Perhaps I am missing some nuance of measurement differences and am
comparing apples to oranges. I'm really looking to hear that the Argo 516 is
as good as we all hope, but I do have concern about that kind of power
drainage. Could any an all share the thoughts, understanding, and opinions
on this? Thank you.
73/Tim NZ7C