[TenTec] Ten Tec 1254/Mizuho Sky Coupler KX-2 experience

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Ten Tec 1254/Mizuho Sky Coupler KX-2 experience
From: ku4qd@earthlink.net (Caitlyn Martin)
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 17:23:04 -0500
Hi, everyone,

I wanted an inexpensive shortwave receiver I could use while working in
the kitchen or doing whatever (like playing with the ferrets) in the
living room.  I picked up a Ten Tec (T-Kit) 1254, a built and working
one, from a member of the Ten Tec reflector.  Well... in the wake of the
ice storm with most of my antennas down a random wire along the peak of
the roof was one of the few survivors.  I ran it from the side of the
house where it came down across the back to the kitchen window and
connected it to a Mizuho KX-2 Sky Coupler SWL antenna tuner I had
sitting on a shelf for the past year waiting for such an application.

The result is quite nice.  The 1254 seems to have a decent receiver for
SWLing for a small, inexpensive unit.  The KX-2 clearly helps me peak up
signals nicely.  The result is that I can listen to Kol Israel or the
BBC or whatever quite clearly now.  The top firing speaker is large
enough and sounds quite good.  Both the Ten Tec and the Mizuho, at first
blush, seem ideal for what I want to do.

Currently I have the BBC on 5975 on now and programmed into memory.

I'm still trying to figure out how a Mizuho AT-1200 could have "not
helped" the gentleman with the Icom receiver who posted on the Mizuho
reflector a little while back.  A tuner *definitely* helps.

I just thought I'd share...

73,
Caity
KU4QD