[TenTec] TT No. 1220 transceiver kit

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] TT No. 1220 transceiver kit
From: W5VPU@aol.com (W5VPU@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 12:57:40 EST
Hello.

I would appreciate any experience you have had building and/or using the 2
meter transceiver kit, and the No. 1222 35 watt RF amplifier module.

Presently for 2 meters I use a HT-202 with a power supply and feeding a
vertical ground plane antenna in the attic. I use it very little to chat on a
couple of local nets on one repeater once a week, and a little bit of other
chat. It is a bit unhandy as the remote mike just doesn't work all that well.
Most of my hamming is on HF with my Jupiter with which I am most pleased.

I've explored the TT web site on all TT stuff for a long time and read the
eHam reviews. The eHam reviews of Model 1220 seem a bit critical. I would
enjoy he assembly process. I have built radios for 50 years, including some
solid state.

My concern is primarily for its usability as compared with (1) some of the
"imports" and (2) compared with the 6n2. I currently have no interest in 6
meters, so the 6n2 is a low priority for me. Yet the No. 1220 kit with
amplifier costs approximately 40% of the DSP model. Some of the imports are
selling very inexpensively, yet some of their ratings are below.

Any experiences in building, using fixed and/or mobile, and comparisons will
be helpful.

73s       Raymond           W5VPU

multipart/alternative
  text/html