[TenTec] Jupiter Audio II

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Jupiter Audio II
From: n1eu@yahoo.com (Barry N1EU)
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 06:19:37 -0800 (PST)
KB1LG asked "My third question is, the line out, if it
is clipping but the speaker out is not, why?"

I'm not that familiar with the Jupiter circuitry, but
seems like the dynamic range of the post-AGC signal
coming off the detector (DSP) is greater than the
dynamic range of the line-level driver.  If you were
measuring 6V P-P line out from your Jupiter on strong
signals, perhaps you should just add a simple voltage
divider at the input of the line-level driver to cut
the input level a few dB and eliminate the clipping.
I've never worked on a Jupiter so I don't know how
easy this would be to do.

If you have a low noise audio preamp available (e.g. a
Behringer mixer), you could also tap the low-level
audio signal before the driver and amplify it
externally.  I do this routinely with my Corsair
because I want to bypass its audio output chain
entirely.

Not sure if this really helped, but good luck.

73 & H2K3,

Barry N1EU
www.albany.net/~bg