[TenTec] 1210 LO stability

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 1210 LO stability
From: mwhatley@arkansas.net (Mark Whatley)
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 12:49:13 -0600
I'm new to this site so please forgive me if this has been covered.

I have a 1210 transverter that I built about a year ago and finally got =
around to getting it on the air recently. I seemed to be
working fine for local ragchewing but I did get a report that it was =
drifting in frequency by a 100 Hz or so. My intentions were
to use the 1210 to work meteor scatter using the new digitial modes and =
so I became concerned about this report of frequency=20
drift. The IF rig is a Yaesu FT-1000.=20

I connected a dummy load and began to run some tests. I first checked =
the FT-1000 and found it to be very stable.
But the counter showed that, sure enough, the carrier freq from the 1210 =
did drift rather badly=20
over a short term test. I ran the WJST program to simulate a contact and =
in about 10 minutes the frequency had drifted about 180
Hz. I attributed this to the slight heating effects in the transverter. =
It returned to approximately the starting frequency in a couple of=20
hours after I stopped transmitting. At first I was counting the output =
frequency (144.250 Mhz). I then counted the LO freq (116.0 Mhz) just to =
make sure and noted the same results. I have since left the unit on for =
weeks and noted that the LO frequency can
vary over about a range of +60 and -40 Hz during the day without any =
transmissions.

I have readjusted the LO several times and still see the same results.

Has anyone experienced this beside me? Has anyone proposed a solution?

Thanks,
Mark K5XH

multipart/alternative
  text/html