[TenTec] Pegasus S-Meter Anomaly

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus S-Meter Anomaly
From: mark@microenh.com (Mark Erbaugh)
Date: Mon Jan 27 23:18:59 2003
I've been messing around at developing my own Pegasus control software and
I've encountered an anomaly with the SMeter. It may be related to the design
of my software, but I think something real is going on with the radio.

On very strong signals, it seems that the SMeter follows the audio level,
behaving more like an audio meter. This is with AGC set to slow. This has
happened on both SSB and AM. When this happens, I can return the SMeter to
'normal' by engaging the RG Attenuator.

On one QSO that I monitored, one station was considerably stronger. The
SMeter followed the audio level for the strong station, but behaved
'normally' for the weaker one.

In operation, my software polls the Pegasus SMeter every 55 msec and
displays the immdiate result as well as a peak hold value on a graphical
SMeter.

73,
Mark