[TenTec] Ameritron QSK-5 switch

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Ameritron QSK-5 switch
From: jimr.reid@verizon.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Fri Jan 31 13:47:12 2003
John, KE5C, wrote:

> If you've used this with an Omni vi+, please e-mail me with
> your success or failure..........

Here is my exact experience and success using the Omni VI+,
Henry amplifier and a QSK-5.  Your problem is the difficulty
in deciphering the Ameritron manual,  hi.

> What's with Key 1 and Key 2 on the QSK-5?

My use:  my "fix" was to connect the key/ptt line directly to
the  "Key 1" input of the QSK-5, and the "External T/R" output
on the back of the Omni VI+  is connected to the "Key 2" input of
the QSK-5. I make NO connection to the QSK-5 AUX socket,
no need (it is sort of an "after the fact" output signal that now the
QSK-5 switch is activated,  I could not find  a use for it,  hi).

Why this way--To quote a couple lines from the -5 manual:

" The transceiver MUST have the proper sequencing of the  RF and
QSK output lines.  The transceiver QSK line must pull low BEFORE
RF appears on the output connector and release AFTER the RF
envelope reaches zero to operate with any QSK switch."

Note,  in Ameritron's language,  "QSK line" = the T/R relay
output from your Omni VI+ transceiver.

Also,  it seems the Key 1 input jack must go low immediately with
key down as this is what closes the linear amp relays.  A "ground"
input signal to Key 2 is what changes the diode gates from
rcv to xmit,  and THEN AUX is pulled low.

Note, that now Ameritron is suggesting to some users that they
simply short the Key 1 socket to ground!  This means that whenever
you have the QSK-5 in your rig set up,  and the -5 power is
switched on,  your linear T/R relays are activated to the transmit
position.   All T/R switching will now be done only by the two
sets of PIN diodes in the -5 unit.  So there is no chance at all
that your relays in the linear can be hot switched!

Some thoughts about the confusing -5 manual which
comes along with the unit.

It seems to me to make no sense to wait for AUX to go low to
generate an input signal to Key 1!  Connecting Key 1 directly
to the keyer,  a la fig 2c,  seems to me to be the correct connection.
I am referring to the figures of suggested hook ups in the
Ameritron manual for the -5 unit.

But,  how do you get the transceiver to stop putting out RF
BEFORE the QSK line goes low???  In both fig 2a and 2b
connections,  the QSK line is used as the input to Key 2!  So,
yes,  this would keep the gates set to xmit until the QSK line went
low.

In the case of figs 2a and 2b,  your keyer connects directly to
the key input of the transceiver.  The Key 2 line connects to
the transceiver QSK line.  This QSK line must be a
wire which goes low with the key signal,  but somehow stays
low until sometime after the key is up,  and RF output from
the transceiver has stopped.

What connection to/from the transceiver goes immediately low
upon key down and stays down after key up for a time?

The only immediate low on key down is from the key itself.
So,  I am leaving the -5 Key 1 jack "diode connected" to the
keyer output.  But,  after some thought I decided to go back
to the T/R amp relay output jack on the back of the Omni VI+.
This is a line that must go low before RF comes from the
transceiver and stay low for a moment or so after RF stops;
it is the only output from the rig I could imagine would fit the
needed description of the "QSK line".  So I tried it.

I connected the Key 2 input jack of the -5 to the T/R Relay
output jack on the back of the Omni VI+ transceiver.....

Voila!!  Now  everything seems to work as it should.  The
fuse lamps do not flash.  I have gradually increased output
power up to about 300 watts and no sign of  problem!
Full rcv signal amplitude between CW elements using the
fast QSK setting on the Omni.

But, I have left the AUX output from the  -5 open,  connected
to nothing.  Don't really see what the point of the direction
in fig 2a is to connect that jack over to the Key 1 line;  or
maybe it is a way to operate SSB,  but would have to find
somewhere else to connect the Key 1/AUX lines.  Figure
2a says to connect to the VOX relay.  Isn't that the same
T/R relay jack to which I now have Key 2 connected?

My "fix" now is to use my CW st. key as my PTT switch
when operating in the CW mode,  hi.  Works fine,  and
avoids any possibility of  hot switching somehow using
SSB mode.

Hope this is helpful,  and not confusing,  hi.

Have fun with the QSK-5!

73,  Jim  KH7M