[TenTec] Corsairs, Pro II, etc hi hi

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Corsairs, Pro II, etc hi hi
From: wa3fiy@radioadv.com (WA3FIY)
Date: Fri Jan 31 20:55:52 2003
On 31 Jan 2003 at 19:30, Paul Valko wrote:

> Ok.  I'd also like to see the 5Khz tests on the Icom/Kenwood/Yaesu.
>
> What I think you are pointing out is the same thing Ten*Tec mentions
> all the time.  Nobody in "contest/DX" conditions is as concerned about
> 20Khz spacing figures as they are at 5 or even 1Khz.  That's where the
> Corsair (original or II) will hear the weak stations while the others
> will hear nothing over the phase noise.
>
> It would be very interesting to see the real figures.

As you point out Paul, two very important specs are Phase Noise and
close in Dynamic Range.   There are some interesting numbers
regarding the CorsairII and some of the other rigs mentioned.
Unfortunately, the spacing for close in dynamic range is not always
the same but close enough to get a picture.  Here is what I found
"on paper".

First Phase Noise at 5Khz spacing from the carrier:

Corsair II  -132db  (1)
Omni VI+  -132db [approx]  (2)
756ProII  -130db (2)
781          -129db at 10Khz (1)
FT1000 MV  -125db  (2)

So far the Corsair is looking pretty good on paper!

Close in Dynamic Range has been tested on the above rigs too.
Let's take a look.  Unfortunately some tests run at 5 Khz, some at
3 Khz and some at 2 Khz.  But we will get a pretty good picture
anyway.

Omni VI+  86db @ 5 Khz  (3)
Corsair II  79db @ 3 Khz (1)  Note: this would be better at 5 Khz
FT1000 MV  78db @ 5 Khz (3) Note: the '1000MP is 83db
756ProII  76db @ 5 Khz (3)
781   74 db @ 2 Khz (1)  Note: this is the average of three units
tested by Sherwood and the DR would be a little better at 5 Khz.

Source of data:

(1)  Sherwood
(2) ARRL
(3) Elecraft

Notice what rigs seem to be at or near the top of the list in both
close in dynamic range and low phase noise.   I'd say the Corsair II
does quite well on paper.........but there is nothing like sitting down
with the radio and using if for a while in tough situations to see just
how good it really is.   And the Corsair II is quite good!

I left out the K2 on the close in DR and phase noise but we all know
it ranks right up there too!

It is instructive to study the Sherwood chart.   Notice that most
of the rigs at the top are "old" rigs!

-73-

-Lee-