[TenTec] Paragon Improvements

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Paragon Improvements
From: n8coo@juno.com (n8coo@juno.com)
Date: Sun Feb 2 23:11:16 2003
Hi Stan, everyone,

I have searched around the web and don't recall that I ever found any
comprehensive list of information/known problems on the Paragon.  I guess
one has to rely on word of mouth, asking the reflector, and archived
messages for Paragon information.   I suspect  many fixes are probably
notes penciled in the margins of manuals or in the technician's personal
notes.

My Paragon is serial number 585-00557.  I purchased it from Ten Tec
(used) in 1/2001and I have no doubt it was meticulously gone over as it
works perfect (see note below), very well aligned, and it appears that it
was updated with the latest firmware (though I didn't write down the rev.
number).  For instance, on mine the actual transmitting frequency is
displayed in CW (the original setup/firmware displayed the receive freq,
and transmit was 750 Hz higher than displayed)  Interesting enough in
"TUNE" the freq is still 750 Hz higher than the displayed freq.
The only problem I did have shortly after purchasing it, was, after
several hours of receiving, and without touching the rig, the receiver
would slowly get weaker and weaker (if you were tuned into a station, the
S meter would very slowly drop over a long period of time).  If you so
much as touched any button or tranmitted, no problem, rx  back full
strength.  I called and spoke with Don Prouty at Ten Tec (I was told by
Stan he was the Paragon expert) and he suggested, among other things, to
check the rx/trx switch (for the receive antenna)  on the back of the
rig.   So the next time it acted up I reached back to try the switch and
as soon as I barely touched the switch the receiver came back to life.  A
shot of cleaner/lube, exercising the switch, and no further problems.
Another example of the excellent advise and service from Ten Tec.

I don't recall seeing your problem with the offset listed on the
reflector, perhaps someone could have helped out there.  I could have
just missed it, sometimes I skim through pretty fast.  You may want to
list your other problems on the reflector, there are a lot of helpful
Paragon owners/former owners out there and may know the solution.  I'm
surprised that the person (or persons) that said the offset was a common
problem on early Paragons didn't know the solution as well.   Maybe you
could share the solution on it with everyone as you never know, someone
else may run into it sometime.  I had not heard of that one on the offset
myself but I still consider myself a Paragon newbie...

Someday, perhaps someone will take on the project of cataloging service
information on the Paragons (no, I'm not volunteering, hi hi)

Thanks,

73 de Mark N8COO