[TenTec] Square wave sidetones

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Square wave sidetones
From: N4LQ@igLou.com (Steve Ellington)
Date: Fri Feb 7 20:20:49 2003
While it's true that a square wave is going to produce an audible (honk)
before a sine wave, you have to keep in mind that anyone running 60+wpm is
not going to be too concerned about a delay since he would no doubt be
keying several characters ahead of the sidetone anyway.

One easy trick that will clean up a square wave sidetone is to use an audio
filter on the output of the rig. Any simple filter, active or passive, will
work fine. I've used the popular Autek QF-1 which is available on the used
market for about $30 and it does wonders for square waves but it does tend
to enhance the agc overshoot pop problem in old TT rigs.
 I have a MFJ DSP filter with it's own built in AGC and that cures both
problems. For the money, I think it's hard to beat the MFJ 784B filter and I
believe TT even sells these. Another nice feature about the MFJ is that it
doesn't induce much delay so you don't need to worry about bypassing it when
transmitting like you do with certain other brands.
It's interesting that the Delta 580 has a beautiful sinewave sidetone.
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't it come out before the Corsair II?

Steve
N4LQ