[TenTec] Omni V RAM battery problem

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni V RAM battery problem
From: abullington@attbi.com (Andy Bullington)
Date: Sat Feb 8 22:42:57 2003
I have an Omni V with the N4PY chip in it and while trying to program the
memories I'm only able to program 8....won't take anymore (and yes, I've done
the up arrow thing). After that a strange 160 meter frequency comes on when I
press MT. I asked Carl about this and he thinks the battery in the RAM chip
must be going. Since the batteries are built into the chip and have an
estimated life of 10 years and have been out of production for over 10 years,
this is a little scary. I have two questions:

1.  if the RAM goes, is the only problem going to be the general purpose and
split memories or is something far more hideous going to happen?

2. Has anyone come up with a remedy for this? The Omni Vl chip won't work?
Any insight would be appreciated.  Thanks!
                 Andy Bullington W1AWB