[TenTec] Will W5YR be back?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Will W5YR be back?
From: MHelm64279@aol.com (MHelm64279@aol.com)
Date: Tue Feb 11 04:43:58 2003
Greetings all--

First, let me say "thank you" to those who have made this a great place for
me to come and learn more about Ten-Tec and amateur radio in general.  I've
been reading the list pretty faithfully for a few years now.  Having said
that...

I must also say that I am somewhat disturbed at the thought of W5YR being
driven away from this list.  Certainly no one "blacklisted" him or anything
like that, but obviously some of the flaming that occured recently created an
environment in which he felt unwelcome enough to stop posting.  Can any
reasonable person look back at George's contributions to this list and not
feel like we've lost something vital?

I think George possesses a store of technical knowledge and understanding
matched only by a select few others on this group and he has a unique ability
to explain some pretty complex concepts in a way that
non-electrical-engineers (like myself) can grasp.  I have learned so much
from George's posts and have certainly benefitted from the time he has
invested here.  The collective knowledge on this list is truly amazing, and I
have seen the discussion raised to a pretty lofty level on occasion--kind of
like the few "resident geniuses" we have here bringing out the best in each
other.  It can be pretty awe-inspiring when that happens and it seems as if
George is usually involved when it does.  I think I would miss his
contribution to that process.

On the other side of the coin, he will often take the time to give a thorough
explanation of some basic principals to someone if they ask a relatively
simple question.  I don't know George, but he just seems to me to be someone
who really loves electronics and radio--and after almost 60 yrs in ham radio
he's still fascinated by it.  I like that...and I'd be crazy not to want him
around here so that I could pick his brains and take advantage of everything
he's always brought to this list.

Although I'm a happy Ten-Tec owner (Omni V), no one manufacturer has all the
answers. To me, George's perspective on the relative strengths and weaknesses
of various brands is quite refreshing.  Ten-Tec doesn't exist in a vacuum.
Personally, I find it very interesting to look at how different manufacturers
implement the newer technologies.  George brings A LOT to those discussions
and I think it's fascinating to compare Ten-Tec's approach to all the others.

Anyway...George, I hope you'll be back.

I hope I'm not the only one who feels this way.

73.........Mark (N3OZM)