[TenTec] Jupiter Noise Reduction

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Jupiter Noise Reduction
From: BernCohen@aol.com (BernCohen@aol.com)
Date: Tue Feb 18 15:51:18 2003
I don't know anything about technical aspects, Bill, but the noise reduction
in to menu seems to act like a conventional noise blanker and works well for
the power line noise here in cold weather.  Like the conventional noise
blankers, when activated it seems to result in greater overload from other
signals on the band, so I set mine to the lowest threshhold possibly (usually
3-4) to get rid of the noise while minimizing overload.  The NR button seems
to work very well by reducing the background noise to next to nothing, while
bringing an uncopyable signal right up out of the noise.  It makes copy very
comfortable on CW but gives the tone of the signal a funny sound, slightly
mushy.  Under some conditions, the Noise Reduction is nothing short of
spectacular.  It any case, it sure beats the noise blanker in my trusty
Triton IV (give me a buzzsaw sidetone any day, by the way!).....Bernie K1SA