[TenTec] FT-920 vs. Pegasus Question

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] FT-920 vs. Pegasus Question
From: w3uls@3n.net (John Rippey)
Date: Wed Mar 5 18:05:50 2003
Well, I cannot speak about the Peg/Jupiters but I did own an FT-920. I
recently sold it. If you are mainly a phone person, the FT-920 will work
well for you. On CW, it is a horse of a different color. On receive, the
front end does not hold up in contest situations even with the optional
Yaesu 500 Hz CW filter. (A filter board is available from Inrad which I
hear greatly enhances its CW selectivity, but I did not pursue this
option.) On transmit, my unit had an extremely wide CW bandwidth, which I
measured (crudely) to be in the neighborhood of +/- 2.1 kHz. This is way,
way too wide and would cause all kinds of annoying key clicks for other
ops. QSK, of course, was not up to Ten-Tec standards.

By the way, I found the ergonomics, the built-in antenna tuner and the DSP
(audio) implementation to be excellent, so the radio did very well in all
areas except basic CW performance. And at $900 used, its price is appealing.

The new Ten-Tec Argonaut V, one of which I recently purchased, is superior
in its CW receive/transmit performance to the FT-920 and has better
implementation of (IF) DSP. But it has just 20+ watts output, does not go
to 6 meters, and has no built-in antenna tuner. How it matches up against a
Peg/Jupiter, I don't know. Unless you think you need that extra 80 watts, I
would recommend you consider a new/used Argonaut. HF only, of course.

73,
John, W3ULS