[TenTec] Orion users? Fox-Tango filters?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion users? Fox-Tango filters?
From: tom@k2ta.com (Tom K2TA)
Date: Fri Mar 7 11:59:20 2003
Ok gentlemen.. Having just upgraded my Omni-V to a V.9 thanks to Carl's chip
upgrade I received word from the XYL yesterday "Go ahead an order the Orion".
WOO-HOO!

I could move my filter collection from the Omni-V.9, crippling it for backup
use OR I can buy a full set of Ten-Tec filters OR I can go with the Fox-Tango
(or whatever they call themselves now) steep skirt filters.

QUESTIONS:
1) Any recommendations on Fox-Tango vs Ten-Tec filters?  Will the steep skirts
(especially @ 200Hz) produce more ringing?  Can the DSP of the Orion reduce or
eliminate the ringing?

2) Any direct comparisions on receiver performance compared to Omni-V?   Is the
Orion receiver....better?  really impressive?  dramatically better?  stunningly
better? than the Omni-V in contest operation (working 200Hz away from a 30 over
S9 signal)

As someone who got started in ham radio as an SWL I'm looking forward to the
6Khz AM general coverage of the Orion as well.

If the filter comparison is a "six of one / half dozen of the other" I prefer
to support Ten-Tec financially but if the FoxTango's are better...That's the
way I'll go.

73 de Tom K2TA
tom@k2ta.com