[TenTec] For FD, running Pegasus from lead-acid cell, needbooster?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] For FD, running Pegasus from lead-acid cell, needbooster?
From: wb2vuf@qsl.net (Bwana Bob)
Date: Sat Mar 8 23:05:10 2003
That voltage booster advertised in Worldradio will put out 23 amps,
won't it?

Whether you can get away without a voltage booster also depends on the
battery and power wiring. I'm changing the fuse holders on my Scout and
1220 2 meter rig from the spring-loaded type to the automotive blade
type. I believe that this will reduce voltage drop in the power cable.
We need to pay attention to the battery connection, too. I had a severe
drift in my Scout that turned out to be caused by a crimped terminal at
the battery connection. The crimp was loose and corroded. Now I solder
all power connectors.

The battery comes into play as well. I put an Interstate "Mega-tron
plus" battery in my Explorer 4X4. This battery has heavier connections
between the cells for less voltage drop, and I can really tell the
difference in cold cranking power. If you operate HF portable from a
vehicle and don't want a separate deep cycle battery, put a heavy duty
starting battery in the vehicle.

In general, while some rigs will run at say, 10.5 V, most Ten Tec's that
I have used are spec'd down to 11 V and they are not happy with less.
Try running a test with the proposed battery and radio combination.
Also, if you can find reasonably-priced solar panels, you can keep the
battery topped off, at least during receiving periods.

                        Bob WB2VUF