[TenTec] Century 21 Sticky Controls

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Century 21 Sticky Controls
From: rckchp@comcast.net (rich a.)
Date: Sun Mar 9 22:04:50 2003
Hi Tony,

The sticking set drive & zero beat buttons are a known weakness on the C21.
Apparently when the C21 was manufactured they were trying to keep the costs
down as it was intended to be an entry level novice rig, so they used
inexpensive push button switches that lose their spring tension  as they
age. Unfortunately Ten Tec has no more in stock....most likely no longer
available anywhere.

The only real cure is to replace them with new push buttons switches. Almost
any push button switch that fits in the chassis hole would work. Often you
will see photos of C21s on eBay where the push buttons have been replaced
with a Radio Shack push on/push off switch ( part number 275-617A). These
differ from the appearance of the originals in that they are red and square
shaped and they click on and off, not momentary contact like the originals.
In some ways this is better as you don't have to use one hand to keep it
pressed in while adjusting the drive or zero beat. A certain amount of
disassembly is required to remove the old switches and replace with
new......not too difficult if you are at all handy with small tools. One
small drawback.....the new non original push buttons may lessen the value in
the opinion of "purist" collectors. Your choice....keep it "stock" with
impaired function as a display piece on a shelf.....or do the fix and keep
it in action as it was intended.....a fine cw rig.

Rich  K2CPE

PS: If anyone has figured a way to rejuvenate the old push buttons I'd like
to know how, as I haven't yet replaced the old ones on my own C21.