[TenTec] Some Argo 515 questions

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Some Argo 515 questions
From: csturner@slonet.org (Clark Savage Turner)
Date: Mon Mar 10 00:28:21 2003
On Sunday, March 9, 2003, at 07:57 AM, <genewill@ordata.com> wrote:

> I'm discovering the joys of a vintage Argonaut 515. I have some
> questions
> the manual doesn't answer, and I haven't found in the reflector
> archives:

Fun rig.  I've had a couple.

> 1. On 40m CW I hear both sides of zero beat, about equally; on 20m CW
> the
> unwanted side is audible, but quite far down in strength. Is this
> normal?

I'd say it is about right.  The main filter is only 4 poles, and has
limited opposite sideband rejection when you slip the center frequency
for CW operation.  Now, that said, you probably can do a better
alignment of the carrier oscillators for CW and get it much better than
that, check with Ten Tec and look at your manual for the adjustment (I
think the manual may be incorrect on some of the carrier oscillator
frequencies as I recall).  You CAN do better, but it is not out of the
ordinary.

> 2. A "T" voltage is brought out to the accessory connector on the rear
> panel. Can this be used with a relay to drive an amp correctly -- i.e.,
> with enough lead time before RF appears to avoid hot-switching? Can
> someone point me to a circuit?

I have seen this done, and I know there is a circuit.  If no one gets
you a pointer, write me again and I'll look.  The 405 is RF driven, and
you need to modify BOTH rigs to directly key one from the other.

> 3. As I read the schematic, the 208A audio filter connects through the
> accessory port into/before the AGC loop, for superior filtering. Can a
> filter such as the Autek QF-1A be connected there and also function
> correctly?

I don't think the QF1-A will work, the output is not line level and will
likely overdrive the 515.  You might add serious padding and accomplish
it.

> 4. Is the 405 amp hard-keyed or RF-activated? Does it use a mechanical
> T/R
> relay or transistor/diode switching? Any reason (other than cosmetics)
> it
> should be preferred to a Tokyo Hy-Power HL-200Bdx or other small
> solid-state PA?

None that I know about.

> P.S. Still looking for 206A, 208A, 210A! Check your closets!!

I have a 206A here, but it is cream colored, matching the 509 Argo.  I
think that was a bit rare.  I'd sell it but I suspect you want the
cosmetic match.  Good luck.

Clark
WA3JPG