[TenTec] Orion / PROII pricing

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion / PROII pricing
From: ny9h@arrl.net (Bill NY9H)
Date: Mon Mar 10 15:17:32 2003
Hello All;
Not only prior to a new product release,,,, but once a manufacturer has
sold a product into the 3000$ range,,, and taken those buyers out of the
market, it's time to take the same product to a lower price
point...assuming they have sold enough at the high price point to pay down
the engineering.... even if they take the next sales at a lower profit
margin.  That sweeps those buyers who could not afford the "higher" price,
into an ICOM product. And makes room for the NEWER, BETTER replacement
product at the higher price point.

It also makes it tough on the competition....i REMEMBER WHEN we were
selling the TASCAM portastudios... We had a new model; done & ready to roll.
We act
y waited till the competitor released his latest , hottest new
cool piece  (fostex).  Then, AFTER they shipped their inventories into the
dealers; we
droppeardce cost on ours, protected their existing inventories WAY under
their new one  &  then shipped OUR new cool toy , with mondo more features
for $ 10 or $20 more... ...

we hadMon,rounded and neutralized their product,,,, and kept selling out
old one and the new one......at the higher price...

And yes it was fun.

If Icom continues to reduce the PRO II ; they may take out of the market
many of  the "orion" buyers. Not even by design.

Go Tennessee Tech.....

( and the knobs on my 253 & 238 are bad also......
TT could ask their current suppliers to come up with a brass inserted
alternative)
I'd rather pay TT for matching grey knobs than Newark......

Bill