[TenTec] Orion Sweep Display Change

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion Sweep Display Change
From: w5yr@att.net (George, W5YR)
Date: Thu Mar 27 01:41:01 2003
----- Original Message -----
From: "Kip Glunt" <kipg@yorkinternet.net>
To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 11:43 PM
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion Sweep Display Change

> What would be the drawback to have the option to switch the scope from one
receiver to the other?  I mean, it is suppose to be an SDR?

At the very least, it takes software to enable that option. Software takes
time and costs money. I suspect that this is a feature that may be
implemented somewhere down the line if, in fact, it is doable in software.
However, if there is a lack of processing horsepower, then  . . .

On the other hand, there may be hardware issues which again take time and
money to resolve - probably a combination of software and hardware issues
necessitated the change in specifications..

If the ORION were a software-defined radio, then features like this could be
implemented with the proper software additions. But, as a
software-controlled radio, it is subject to hardware constraints as to what
can be done to retrofit or add new capabilities.

73/72, George
Amateur Radio W5YR -  the Yellow Rose of Texas
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13QE
"In the 57th year and it just keeps getting better!"
<mailto:w5yr@att.net>