[TenTec] Orion with AL-1200 -- QSK

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion with AL-1200 -- QSK
From: wa3fiy@radioadv.com (WA3FIY)
Date: Fri Mar 28 20:33:56 2003
The Ameritron  PIN-5 TR switch that I use draws less than 2 mA
current and has open circuit voltage of around 12 volts.   No problem
for the Ten Tec switching transistor which is rated may times that
amount in all the rigs I referenced earlier.  I seriously doubt the
ORION would be any less capable but one should check the manual
to make sure for sure!   :-)

BTW, the PIN-5 switch has a feed back circuit to complete the
keying loop if desired but I have never found a need for it.  It is
labelled Q7 on my schematic diagram and is an open collector NPN
2N3904.  Also, the steering diode mentioned in the Alpha note is
already in place on the Ameritron PIN-5 PC board as D8.   The only
gotcha here is that my unit is over 10 years old and perhaps they
have made some changes since then.  So..........it would be good to
look at the Ameritron manual just to make sure it is as I describe.

73 de Lee, WA3FIY