[TenTec] Fw: Orion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Fw: Orion
From: mark@microenh.com (Mark Erbaugh)
Date: Fri Apr 4 11:28:59 2003
Jim,

The difference is in the concept of 'carrier suppressed'.  I'm not up to
speed on DSP implementations, but with the traditional analog
implementations, the carrier and opposite sideband are still present in the
signal, though greatly attenuated. With true FSK, the radio only generates
two different RF tones.  Another issue may be the transitions between the
tones. I don't know if the waveform of perfectly modulated AFSK would have
the same transients in the transitions.

That being said, my Omni VI is in need of a slight alignment ( I need to get
a freq counter ). I noticed that when monitoring its FSK signal on a second
receiver, the tones were only about 130 Hz apart.  When I feed AFSK to the
radio, the tones were a perfect 170 Hz apart.

73,
Mark