[TenTec] Old Modes never die... they just get soundcard support!

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Old Modes never die... they just get soundcard support!
From: n9dg@yahoo.com (Duane Grotophorst)
Date: Sat Apr 5 10:37:08 2003
--- Carter Grabarczyk <k8vt@ameritech.net> wrote:

> Duane Grotophorst wrote:
> > All this debate about FSK vs. AFSK is a little
> silly.
>
> I respectfully disagree, at least as long as *many*
> operators are
> clueless as to how to properly set their AFSK
> transmit levels to avoid
> really bad sounding, distorted signals you hear
> during every contest.

I don't dispute this point at all, you really do need
to pay attention to what you are doing in order to
have good sounding signal with the sound card modes.
The my main point I'm trying to make is that we hams
collectively need look beyond the way things have
always been done. If there are only 10 hams discussion
the merits of 'inside the radio' handling of digital
modes the manufacturers won't pay much attention, if
there 100's they may notice, if there 1000's you can
bet that there will soon be a new radio model (or
firmware update?) that does. That will make AFSK vs.
FSK debate (pros/cons) completely moot. But as long as
the discussion stays fixated on sound card interfacing
or FSK keying methods it won't happen. Radios with the
RF and DSP caliber of the Orion would be an excellent
starting point for doing this kind of thing. Obviously
it would depend on its circuitry design being able to
allow it.

The good news for the interim is that radios like the
Pegasus/Jupiter/516 are the easiest ones there are to
interface with a sound card.

Duane
N9DG