[TenTec] Some Orion vs. RX-340 stuff

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Some Orion vs. RX-340 stuff
From: jimr.reid@verizon.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Fri Apr 11 15:24:33 2003

> Hello Jim.
>     How does the Orion's main RX compare to the RX-340?  I am
> very pleased and impressed with the Orion's performance.
> The RX performance is, without a doubt, the best I have ever
> experienced!

Well,  you are ahead of me;  my Orion is somewhere in the 2nd
production  run.  Guessing it will come sometime earlier,  not
later in May,  but of course,  not sure.  Anyway,  I plan to do
a good comparison of the Orion main rcvr with the RX-340
when I have some good propagation and a couple weeks time.

A bit disappointed with present propagation,  solar flux this
morning is at 103!  Not real great.  Only 20 meters stuff I
could hear out here was from Californina(weakly),  JA,  ZL,
Hong Kong and South Africa (?);  not sure why ZS is heard hear
while everything else is around the Pacific rim.  Hearing the Pacific
rim is not surprising here given where Kauai is,  hi.

Having to be happy just reading the 565 manual (PDF version from
the TT web site) and looking at the front panel photos to see where
the buttons and knobs are while the manual is talking about them.
Best photo I have found of the Orion front panel is at:

http://www.n9vv.com/Images/Orion/k4ten-orion1.jpg

This photo is from Ken Hopper's,  N9VV,  web page;  it is
a very high resolution close up of the front.  However,  the panel LCD
display lay out shown is NOT the same as that being shipped;
this photo is from last Fall sometime,  and was taken by W4TEN,
Frankie,  per Ken's comments.  As far as I know,  all the buttons
and knobs on the radios being shipped are as shown in this photo.
I pretend that I am operating as I read through the PDF manual,  hi.

73,  Jim  KH7M