[TenTec] Slightly OT: SSB vs AM

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Slightly OT: SSB vs AM
From: n9dg@yahoo.com (Duane Grotophorst)
Date: Tue Apr 22 21:38:36 2003
Yes I do remember the NBVM (ACSSB) units being
advertised back in the late 70's early 80's. Sure
didn't catch on then I suspect because it was
relatively complicated and expensive.

But you now have to wonder if that particular
modulation scheme can be implemented in the new DSP-IF
radio with just a firmware upgrade?? Wouldn't that be
a neat gimmick feature of the Orion? It could be a
bunch of fun right along with an "inside the radio"
implementation of the Thales digital voice system.

Its a shame to see all this DSP IF technology in
radios like the Orion to be only used for the same old
SSB/CW/AM/FM modes that the less sophisticated
competitive radios already do quite well.

Duane
N9DG