[TenTec] Summary of differences?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Summary of differences?
From: johnclif@ix.netcom.com (John Clifford)
Date: Mon Apr 28 06:45:56 2003
I think the Omni VI/Option 1 is the best bargain of the bunch.  You get
everything a VI+ has except a 2nd 9Mhz filter slot and TXCO, and you can
replace the crystal oven with a TXCO thru Ten-Tec (or you can let them do
it).  I've seen the Option 1s going for about the same as a new Jupiter...
and the VI/Opt1 is a much better ham radio.

I've used mine extensively for CW and the HF digital modes and especially on
PSK the ability to select one weak signal in a crowded 20m passband is
pretty fantastic.  I'm very happy with mine, and think that it would be the
rare signal indeed that could be copied with an Orion that couldn't also be
copied with a VI/Opt1.

The Opt1 has the VI+ DSP chips and labels for the changed key assignments,
Opt2 has the VI+ DSP chips and replacement keycaps, and the Opt3 replaces
the BFO and control board plus provides keycaps to give you a radio that is
electronically identical to a VI+.  It's my understanding that the BFO board
has to be replaced because the new VI+ control board (that supports the 2nd
filter) will not work with the original VI BFO board, however there is no
qualitative difference between the two BFO boards.  I do know from my xtal
tweaking that Ten-Tec has used basically the same BFO board design since the
Omni V with minor changes (mode xtal BFO freqs, which xtal is used for which
mode, etc.).

Check out the reviews on eHam.net.

 - jgc

John Clifford KD7KGX

Heathkit HW-9 WARC/HFT-9/HM-9
Elecraft K2 #1678 /KSB2/KIO2/KBT2/KAT2/KNB2/KAF2/KPA100
Ten-Tec Omni VI/Opt1
Alinco DR-605TQ
Icom T90A

email: kd7kgx@arrl.net