[TenTec] DSP reports--suggestion/request

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] DSP reports--suggestion/request
From: geraldj@isunet.net (Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, electrical engineer)
Date: Tue Apr 29 22:28:50 2003
There WILL be distortion of the voice when the signal reaches the DSP
with noise a little stronger than the signal. The DSP can't recreate
voice components that were under the noise at the D/A converter. The
background noise sound after processing is different, than ordinary
noise, and probably different for each implementation of the available
noise reduction algorithms.

My Corsair is second only to my antique BC-453 plus converter for
copying during lightning crashes. The 453's IF uses several transformers
at 85 KHz to create an even more rounded pass band than the Tentec
ladder filters.

An Orion is not in my sights at this time, its lacking in frequency
coverage (nothing above DC), and my Corsair II would do well if turned
on. Since my dad moved to an assisted living facility last November,
I've made few HF contacts. I suppose I need to go put him up an antenna
there. Then run fast before the TVI complaints from my dad's 35 close
neighbors catch up with me!

I did look at Omni V and VI before I bought the Corsair II. I found they
had an annoying setup running CW on LSB on 28 MHz. My use then was
planning to be as an IF for VHF and where contacts switch freely from CW
to SSB, not being able to copy SSB while in the CW mode would be
terminal. I'm annoyed at my Yaesu multimodes that switch the receive
frequency (but not the display) when changing modes but at least they
stay on the same sideband. A mixed mode USB/CW contact with the Omni V
and VI would be very difficult. I suppose one could build the VHF/UHF
transverter with the LO on the high side, and run LSB for SSB, but then
it all tunes backwards. The Corsair II doesn't suffer from that fault.
But I've gone off on a different route for super VHF performance, and I
still need to complete the first stage of that, winding the IF
transformers with copper hair is only half done. Then I get to design
and build my own crystal filters.

73, Jerry, K0CQ

--
Entire content copyright Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, electrical engineer.
Reproduction by permission only.