[TenTec] RX 340 or Orion......that is the Question?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RX 340 or Orion......that is the Question?
From: n4py@earthlink.net (Carl Moreschi)
Date: Thu May 8 20:14:02 2003
Bill,

Yes, the rx340 does have selectable sideband AM sync.  PBT does not work in
AM.  And yes, I have a version of my control program for the rx340.

I now have the Orion programmer's guide (thanks Gary), and I am busy writing
my N4PY Orion Control Program which will be able to also control the rx340
as a separate VFO.  I had my Orion for about an hour before I made a simple
mod to it.  I now have the spare jack of the Orion as an antenna output for
the rx340.  I paralleled the antenna input of the Orion sub-receiver to the
spare jack for this aux receive antenna output to go to the rx340.

I am implementing a "smart vfo" scheme that looks at the vfo a and vfo b
frequencies and assigns the best receiver to each vfo according to the two
frequencies.  This is dynamic and transparent to the operator.

For the Orion receivers, I will also dynamically route the headphone audio
according to the setting of "DUAL" receive.  If "DUAL" is off, the receiver
assigned to VFO A will be sent to both the left and right headphone.  If
"DUAL" is on, the left headphone will be VFO A, and the right headphone will
be VFO B.  Also, the audio from VFO B will only be on if "DUAL" receive is
on.  Both receivers will always be routed to the main speaker.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
Franklinton, NC