[TenTec] Orion SWR protection

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion SWR protection
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Fri May 9 08:43:03 2003
At 05:33 AM 5/9/03 -0400, you wrote:
>The specification of "25 amperes" covers ORION's performance under all
>specified
>conditions, but if your antenna impedance is between 50 and 100 ohms,
>including
>moderate reactance, a 22-ampere power supply will run ORION at close to
>full power. If
>you must have full power under all specified conditions, ORION needs 25
>amperes.
>
>         Simple answer is, full rated power at SWR 2.0:1 and below.

This looks suspiciously like a similar statement in my Mark 5 manual, but
the Mark 5's protection kicks in rapidly and rather below 2:1 indicated,
while that in the TS-930 comes into play more gradually.  I guess I could
have asked the question better -- how aggressively does the Orion ACTUALLY
reduce the output power as the SWR approaches 2:1, and what part does
reactance play in that?  Presumably, it isn't just a question of 25-100
ohms resistive... what is "moderate reactance," to borrow the term used in
the manual?

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated 11 April 03.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm