[TenTec] One comment and one observation

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] One comment and one observation
From: john-k1rc@juno.com (john-k1rc@juno.com)
Date: Sun May 11 19:04:43 2003
Hi all,

Just received an Argonaut V on Thursday and been
having a blast with it so far....

I'd like to make one comment and ask one question,
if I may.

Comment:
RE: Fans.   I have the fan option on my radio and
find it to be very quiet. Just about no noise at all.
The mfgr/model of the fan are: ARX/DC Brushless.
These are the older (black) units.
>From some of the comments on fan noise I've seen,
maybe there is more than one mfgr of the fans being
used.  Just my opinion.....

Observation: Split Frequency operation using both
                    VFO's.

I was trying to work the Armed Forced Radio Day
Mars stations and had a problem running SPLIT.

Split freq operation w/ 2 VFO's won't work if one
of the VFO frequencies is out of the ham bands.
(In this case, the receive VFO -A-)
In order to work the out of band stations, I had
to manually switch between VFO's on TX & RX
with Split OFF.

Of course, there is a small amount of overlap on
the upper and lower edges of each band.
Also, that overlap at each edge is also dependent
on the Filter Bandwidth setting.

In one instance, when I switched from the out-of-
band RX VFO -A-, to the in-band TX VFO -B-,
(with the A/B button) the radio froze up (on VFO-B)
and I couldn't transmit or change freq with the
tuning knob.
I had to power the radio off then on, to return to
normal operation.

Just thought that, if anyone intends to work a
special event where wide split frequencies
(some of which are out of the ham bands)
are required, there is some limitation in the flex-
ability of the radio.

Other than that, I've been having a great time with
this little box...

73,
John K1RC