[TenTec] Quietness/Apparent Sensitivity

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Quietness/Apparent Sensitivity
From: jimr.reid@verizon.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Mon May 19 20:03:19 2003
Dave wrote,  in part:

> I also had the opportunity to compare the Orion to the
> following rigs.

> 1. New Mark V
> 2  New Pro II
> 3. Slightly used Jupiter
> 4. The big daddy....the Kenwood 940.
>
> Sat there for three hours comparing the receive on all rigs...
> ....got to say,  the Orion brings the weak signal right out of
> the noise......pretty cool.

>From my few hours with my new Orion,  I believe what the
Orion is doing is "suppressing" the noise some 20 to 30 dB
lower than any of us have ever expericenced befoe!!   The
Orion typ. phase noise spec is just amazing,  -136 dB/Hz,
or some such.  Makes a huge difference when
comparing my RX-340 and the Orion;  the Orion is
dramatically more quiet,  or weaker signals really
stand out.  Why?  The noise is much farther down.

At least that is my present belief.

73,  Jim  KH7M