[TenTec] Does anyone want my Orion?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Does anyone want my Orion?
From: nq5t@attbi.com (nq5t@attbi.com)
Date: Fri May 23 00:36:52 2003
I've read all the posts and I can't possibly keep a radio that must have,
according to postings on this, the T-T list, many deal-killer problems.  I
guess I just don't know enough about this stuff to be able to see these things
myself or am wearing the wrong color glasses.  So I bow to those more
knowledgable than I on things like:

- a substandard display (probably cause blindness with constant use)
- wobbly cheapy plastic knobs
- poor fit and finish and a company that doesn't think it's important
- unacceptable QC and probable sloppy work
- inattention to detail
- unacceptable "split" operations (Headline: 2nd BUTTON PRESS CAUSES CONTEST
        LOSS.  NEWS AT 11:00)
- possible unreliable shaft encoders (based on experience with another brand)
- a "sub-standard" 2nd receiver
- unusable audio
- misaligned screw heads
- the wrong font
- that "T-T Orion" label on the front panel (wrong brand, maybe?)
- a D'Arsenval meter movement (how quaint, when all you need is
        fixed text that shows "FIVE - NINE" at all times)
- push buttons located in the wrong place
- the wrong Operating System in the Dragonball
- a "scope" that does not rival an H-P Spectrum Analyser in capability
- and blah-blah blah-blah blah-blah ...

And to top it all off there's no built in clock (digital OR analog) display.
How WILL I manage?  How WILL I tell time in the shack?

JUST KIDDING .. of course you can't have mine.  But someone will wander into
the archive, select a few messages to read at random, and go away believing all
this cr*p, mostly posted by tire kickers who don't seem unduly bothered by the
fact that the other new rig's PDF spouts lots of impressive numbers without
backup information or (apparently) other "inconsequential" detail .. and if
history is any measure, I'll bet you'll never see it in the marketing
brochures, either.

All this shoveling to find a clean spot to walk is wearing me out :-)

Grant/NQ5T
http://www.globeking.com