[TenTec] Yahoo groups and SPAM

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Yahoo groups and SPAM
From: k9uw@msworldnet.com (Mike Pagel)
Date: Wed May 28 13:33:26 2003
Sorry about the slightly off-topic post, but I wanted to reply to concerns
about participation in Yahoo groups resulting in SPAM in one's mailbox.

I currently belong to 14 Yahoo groups, but only have traffic from 2 of them
coming into my mailbox.  When Yahoo activated their "Marketing Preferences"
profile a year or so ago, I was alerted to their default profile setting that
allowed Yahoo send a wide variety of email to my address, so I made sure my
profile denied all 13 of those options.

Like most of you, however, I was still getting 20-50 SPAM messages a day, and
it seemed to be getting worse.

On Saturday, I disabled my ARRL email address on the ARRL member web site.
Within hours, SPAM ceased and I have received NO additional SPAM since then.

If you've got an ARRL "email alias", there might be merit in shutting it off.

73 to all
de Mike, K9UW
Amherst, WI