[TenTec] Suggestion....an easy one too! ..

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Suggestion....an easy one too! ..
From: K9RB@bellsouth.net (Roger Borowski)
Date: Sat May 31 14:32:41 2003
What many DX'ers and contesters like to see in any new high performance rig is
an RF Power Output Level of 150 Watts or more. At this power level, the
capability to drive the many grounded grid pair of 3-500Z amplifiers as well as
homebrew 4-1000A amplifiers to produce full legal level output would exist. 100
Watts is just not enough power to make these amps do what they were intended
to. Lots of us were disappointed that the Orion had just a 100 Watt PA while
the competition has long recognized this with their 150 and even 200 Watt PA's.
You can always crank it down, but when 100 Watts is the limit, and its not
quite enough, well....
My Omni VI Plus drives my QRO HF2000 Amp (pair 3-500Z's) to about 900-1050
Watts, while my TS-950SDX easily pushes it to the full 1500 Watts output with
anywhere between 120-150 Watts drive. In a DX pileup or a contest, the extra
500-600 Watts can surely make a difference! If TenTec wants to catch the die
hard DX'ers and contester's eye, they also need to recognize this. Grant it,
many TenTec aficionados don't care a hoot about this but others do. Its a
feature that wouldn't detract from anything as the power output is adjustable.
The reason to be in business is sales and TenTec is missing some sales because
of this, rather easy to incorporate, difference in maximum power output over
that of some of the competition. Lots of us desire and need these few extra
watts capability. Just as an additional note, I know many, myself included, who
prefer to operate "barefoot", (without the amplifier on) and a 150-200 Watt
output rig does a much more satisfactory job for casual DX'ing or contesting,
and getting through to the DX stations, than a rig with 1-1/2 to 3 dB lower
effective power level. 100 Watts output maximum is fine in most cases, but why
limit the market by not providing what would cost so little additional design
and componentry while not detracting any from what is presently offered. This
would only add more potential customers with no apparent real downside.
If the Orion, with its great receive properties, could only replace my
TS-950SDX on the transmit power side of the equation, I would order one in a
heartbeat. I may still decide to get one to replace my Omni VI Plus, but this
makes it much more difficult to justify the purchase as if it produced 150
Watts output, it could potentially replace both of my present rigs. At present,
I use the Omni VI Plus predominantly on 80 and 160 Meter CW, where it does an
admirable job on weak signals in the noise, (very marginally, but still enough
to justify its existence) over that of the TS-950SDX. I've been looking for one
rig to satisfy all my performance criteria and from all I've heard and read,
the Orion only falls short in the RF Power Output category.
One might debate getting an amplifier with low drive requirements, which would
not be a problem EXCEPT, these type of amplifiers do not exhibit "instant on",
as the 3-500Z's amplifier's all do and use more fragile and grid driven ceramic
tubes without tuned inputs. The additional tuned input stage of most commercial
3-500Z design amplifiers allow for less harmonic generation as well as better
stability. I've always felt this to be true and have been using 3-500Z
Amplifiers since the early 70's. Many have switched but many agree with me that
instant on plus the durability and reliability of the tubes in addition to
cleanliness of the signal all are factors to remain with these amplifiers. It
is said that there are more (pair 3-500Z) SB-220 Heathkit amplifiers still in
existence than any other make and model, I had one from '71-'97 myself. They
require at least 120 watts to get them to maximum power out, which is still
just short of the legal limit. Instant On is a feature alone to make these amps
attractive. I can't tell you how many times my friend down the road tells me on
2 meters that he is still waiting for his Alpha to warm up while I've already
bagged the DX station he is looking to work.
On a final note, with only 100 watts of power from a transceiver, many DX'ers
and contesters would be inclined to run their amplifiers all the time. That
extra bit of power makes enough of a difference here that I never contest with
the amplifier and only use it as I deem absolutely necessary. I imagine that
this keeps the neighbors a lot happier than if I ran my amplifier all the time
as well as keeps the electric bill in check. Lots of reasons for 150-200 watts
of maximum transceiver output power. Please TenTec, consider this!
73, -=Rog-K9RB=-