[TenTec] 2A GA Omni A, Omni D at w4rrw

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 2A GA Omni A, Omni D at w4rrw
From: g.bold@auckland.ac.nz (Gary Bold)
Date: Mon Jun 30 17:37:36 2003
Bob,

both my MFJ tee tuners eat watts, because the coil sits too close
to the metal case, which gets warm.  I've replaced the case top with
cardboard, which increases the Q and decreases the losses.

Some years back, I wrote a document describing the theory and
design of tee transmatches, which you can find here.

http://www.phy.auckland.ac.nz/Staff/geb/transm.pdf

For lowest loss, tees should use the largest possible C, as this
decreases the voltage across the coil.  It's possible to estimate the
power loss from the coil Q if you estimate a few other values.  I estimate
that a good tee transmatch will absorb maybe 5 - 15% of the power
applied to it - more for the commercial "miniature, compact" designs.

Gary ZL1AN