[TenTec] RX-340 and the hp GPS Freq Std.

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RX-340 and the hp GPS Freq Std.
From: jimr.reid@verizon.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Wed Jun 11 20:27:18 2003
Aloha,

Well,  the hp Z3801 GPS rcvr is humming along just fine.
At this instant it is locked to five satellites,  and providing
GPS quality frequency standard at 10 MHz (less than
1prt in 10^ -9th,  over one day average).

This signal is now fed into J2,  the external reference
standard input port on the back panel of the 340.  And,
immediately,  the "EXT REF" LED on the 340 front
panel illuminated.

Tested the accuracy using George, W5YR's,  method as he
described with his June 4h post to this reflector.

The MixW frequency readout (there was zero sound card
error,  his first test check) is----no error!

The MixW frequency is reading out 1000.0 !  Every now
and then it will drop for a few moments to 999.9,  hi.

Now I know for sure where the RX-340 is tuned,  hi.
Wonder if there is a way to somehow calibrate the
Orion against the 340;  maybe via Carl's software.
His Orion control programs has a "Calibrate"
function,  but pending serial port "fixes" by Ten
Tec that feature is not yet functional.  But we will

Just feeling delighted about the performance of my
super "fine car and it's speedometer",  to borrow
one of George's analogies,  hi.

73,  Jim  KH7M