[TenTec] Orion TCXO Warm Up Drift

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion TCXO Warm Up Drift
From: nq5t@attbi.com (nq5t@attbi.com)
Date: Thu Jun 19 02:16:32 2003
It isn't mojo, it's physics.  Side by side works fine, if there's a valid
receiver characteristic that makes a difference.

I'ts a brand-independent issue.  Unless the issue is internal receiver noise
and not ambient background, then perhaps expectations were unrealistic.  In
receivers of the K2, MP, Orion class, there's an expectation that internal
noise characteristics will be pretty good.

All things being equal, if the signal is at noise level, the signal is at noise
level.  (Yes, there are other options, like correlation processing, et al to
find a signal buried in a swamp of random noise).

Now if there's a s-9+40 signal a 2-3 KHz away from that weak one, there might
be a noticable difference, depending on other radio characteristics.  That
would be a good side by side test .. :-)

Grant/NQ5T