[TenTec] Pegasus, Jupiter or ICOM 706 MKII G?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus, Jupiter or ICOM 706 MKII G?
From: mark@microenh.com (Mark Erbaugh)
Date: Fri Jun 20 08:41:32 2003
Guy,

Here's an alternative you may want to consider if your 740 is still meeting
your needs as an amateur transceiver.

Take a look at the TenTec RX320. New, they are only around $320 (and TT may
even have some used ones available for less) but don't let the price decieve
you, they are quite capable ham band and general coverage receivers. About
the only feature missing is syncronous AM reception, and there's even a free
for download program out there simulates Sync AM by using SSB operation and
using the soundcard input to track the carrier frequency. They are computer
controlled. TenTec supplies control software with them and there are several
offerings for free or a nominal charge from 3rd party developers. The
receiver is very similar to the Pegasus. As far as I know about the only
difference is that the Pegasus receiver is temperature stabilized (TCXO) and
the RX320 is not. However, I have never had any problems with frequency
stability on the RX320. Unfortunately, they do not support an external knob.

For the record, I have a Pegasus and would also recommend that, it's just
the RX320 would be a way to get your feed wet.  If you did decide you liked
the RX320 and wanted a Pegasus, Carl, N4PY, offers software that allows you
to use the Pegasus and RX320 together with the RX320 becoming a
sub-receiver.  A lot of folks on the reflector are running that combination.

A comment about your mention of the 'VFO knob'. The 302 encoder is simply a
remote knob - it is not a VFO. The computer control software defines what
the knob and the associated buttons on the pod do. With the N4PY software,
the knob can be configured for a variety of operations.

73,
Mark