[TenTec] re: 12VDC for Peg or FD

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] re: 12VDC for Peg or FD
From: w4chl@amsat.org (w4chl@amsat.org)
Date: Fri Jun 20 10:56:17 2003
Yep, Ken tx for the pointer to the higher current boosters. Good idea for
the EOC where we'll put an IC-706 in place. The original 706 we had AF
quality  degraded noticably below 11.5V, and it would actually cut out at
just below 11V.  We actually have one of the N4UAU boosters on hand:
http://n4uautoo.home.sprynet.com/kits/Voltage%20booster%20page/apvb-kit.htm

Since we are running QRP, the total current draw we've measured from a Peg
when xmit is a bit under 2A, and the laptop drain sitting next to it is
about 600ma peak. The N4UAU design provides up to 4A, so we can use this
if necessary, perhaps by splitting the 16Vout as we've setup the booster
for the laptop and inserting some dropping diodes to bring it down to
about 13.8V for the Peg.

Goes a bit counter to FD principles. This setup is for the GOTA station
that will also see some action as public demo from our County Command
Center bus. So I took the liberty to bring a Pegasus into the mix to
demonstrate a software defined radio in addition to all the other stations
which will be running a lot more vanilla rigs and older PCs just for
logging. In fact, we still use the old DOS FD logger !  And the IC-706
will be there as backup !

Cheers & 73s de Mark W4CHL
Chapel Hill NC  USA   http://rtpnet.org/parc