[TenTec] T tuner (transmatch) losses?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] T tuner (transmatch) losses?
From: RMcGraw@Blomand.Net (Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX)
Date: Mon Jun 30 21:51:02 2003
Most tuners have low loss when measuring input to output when matched to a
50 dummy load on the output.  When feeding a real load, one which has both
capacitive and inductive reactance's is when they show excessive losses.
One way to judge loss is by operating the tuner with near rated power into a
real antenna.  After about 2 minutes, turn off the power and carefully touch
each component.  Anything that is warm or hot got that way with RF heating.
Remember, RF that is used in the process of producing heat is not radiated
RF.

The ARRL did some tests a few years back. They had some 8 or 10 tuners, both
new designs and old ones.  Conclusion:  The old Johnson KW matchbox was the
best performer although it did not cover 160 meters.  I recall that the
Johnson 250 watt matchbox was also quite good but not as good as the KW
matchbox.  I seem to recall that the Tentec 238 was in the top performers in
terms of matching range and low loss.  I haven't looked but the evaluation
may be on their website.  Probably worth reading.

Here's one link:  http://www.arrl.org/members-only/prodrev/pdf/pr0302.pdf

73,
Bob, K4TAX