[TenTec] T tuner (transmatch) losses?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] T tuner (transmatch) losses?
From: ken.d.brown@verizon.net (Ken Brown)
Date: Fri Jul 4 00:09:52 2003

 >  Anyway, it was an interesting observation to see
 >improved match with an external balun, and the internal one out of the
 >circuit.  Gave the flattest response over 20m band with our big loop, and
 >allowed one tuner setting to suffice for whole band.

Just as wide low SWR bandwidth on an antenna can be because of
significant  loss resistance (as opposed to radiation resistance), a
wide bandwidth with a tuner may be an indication of high losses.
Although not necessarily in every case.

The best wideband load in my shack is a 50 ohm noninductive resistor. I
never have to adjust a tuner to get a good match for my transmitter on
any band. I have not made many QSOs with it though. Wide low SWR
bandwidth is not necessarily a good thing.

Ken N6KB