[TenTec] Product Reviews

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Product Reviews
From: btippett@alum.mit.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Sun Jul 6 19:32:36 2003
W5YR wrote:

 >For example, it is my experience and that of many friends that the
likelihood is very high that an Icom IC-756PRO2 or an IC-746PRO will play
directly out of the box with all advertised features working to spec and
will continue to do so without requiring any mods, updates, or whatever for
at least the duration of the warranty period. Every Icom I have had since
1982 has met that description.

         George, there is NO perfect radio or company.  To wit:

1.  Enter "spike" and IC-775 into Google and see what you get.  I believe
Icom obsoleted the 775 before they ever fixed that spike.  If Icom gets
everything right the first time, then why did the IC-756PROII replace the
IC-756PRO?  And why does the PROII have inferior close-spaced (5 kHz)
dynamic range than the PRO?  Is better performance not a reasonable
customer expectation for a later model?  Does that mean the PROIII be worse
yet?

http://www.elecraft.com/K2_perf.htm (click 5 kHz data)

2.  Enter "click" and FT-1000 into Google.  Yaesu has yet to acknowledge
any click problems on radio designs that are now >13 years old.  Thanks
only to Inrad and W8JI are there modifications to fix the terrible clicks
of FT-1000D/MP/Mk-V radios...at the owners' expense of course.

3.  Kenwood has become so non-responsive to customers that they are no
longer a factor in the performance HF transceiver market.

         IMHO, TenTec and Elecraft are the only companies that are truly
listening to their customers and actively incorporating our feedback into
their products...REALTIME...rather than in successive designs, if at
all.  Orion is having a few teething problems, but are you saying the
756PRO did not?  The good thing I see about Orion is that most of its
"problems" can be simply solved by better user documentation and firmware
updates.  This seems like a much better solution than successive OrionPRO
and OrionPROII models.  ;-)

                                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV