[TenTec] Balanced Tuners

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Balanced Tuners
From: rohre@arlut.utexas.edu (Stuart Rohre)
Date: Fri Jul 11 14:09:01 2003
Interesting George about Roy and the solenoid choke.

The only thing I had read on his web site recently was his retraction of
saying the input BALUN was superior to an output side balun.  His most
recent analysis of that shows the effects on the balun are the same.  (Which
is puzzling since clearly the voltage in a 50 ohm system are not the same at
higher impedances seen on output, but that is another rabbit hole).

I tend to agree with you, (at least I think your implicit point) that cores
on a coax length are an entirely adequate, economical and wide band solution
to blocking outside the shield reverse RF current, ie act as a balancing
device by prevention of incidental reflections.

The core choking action is more flat in frequency response than a coax
solenoid which still has distributed discrete Capacitance and linear
inductance due to the center wire.
The distributed capacitance term goes away with the shorter core solution
upon the outer shield.

Is that what you were thinking?
Somehow, I think most coax cable chokes are used in either triband or single
band applications, where frequency response might be acceptable.
:-)
73
Stuart
K5KVH