[TenTec] Balanced Tuners

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Balanced Tuners
From: ve1vq@auracom.com (Dave Marling)
Date: Mon Jul 14 15:22:59 2003
Afternoon Carter,

>Did you test the central vac pipe in a microwave oven to make sure it's
>not the kind of plastic pipe that heats up in the presence of RF?

I didn't but I will.  They haven't gotten hot (or even warm) with the
amplifier on 75 meters running just under 950 watts output.

>For those of us that don't have access to the 1990 article, what is the
>value of the variable cap and its voltage rating? How is it connected?

The original article (with updates) is located at
http://www.vcnet.com/measures/bbat.html.  The QST article was an edited
version with a picture of a working unit and prettied up pictures.  The
pictures I have up show a variable capacitor taken from an old Command
transmitter.  I first used a capacitor from TEN-TEC
(http://www.tentec.com/tkit.htm#model1207) but changed it out for the
Command unit to get a lower minimum capacitance.  The TEN-TEC 1207 with a
wider spacing will handle higher power.  Some day when I get the time I'll
re-install the TEN-TEC.  Make sure to add an insulator to the shaft of
whatever variable you use.  RF burns are less than fun.

>Any idea if the inductance values presented will work for a 130 foot
>ladder line fed dipole rather than your 950 ft loop?

I built the input balun and the two coils from information and pictures
from Measures' article and a couple of other pictures and places I found on
the web.  Somebody posted  measurements on either here or qrp-l of various
coax type baluns within the last year.  The information (from all the
sources) seem to be all about the same with some slight variation.  I would
think it would work with a dipole.

I used #10 wire for the two coils.  If I had it to do over I would use #14
instead.  It took several tries to get the spacing correct and the #10
wound tight enough to stay in place.  It happened that an electrician
friend of mine had an end of a role of solid #10 kicking around.  #14 house
wire would likely be more common (and cheaper).

>Finally, if I do use it with my dipole, it is a given that due to the
>limitations of the real world, the dipole is *not* electrically
>symmetrical. Therefore, when you tune this, do you just go by being on the
>same tap for each coil, or do you tune for equal current in each leg
>(conceivably resulting in being on different taps on each coil)?

If you want to get really into this I suppose you could put a couple of rf
current meters in line but not having a pair of those I would accept
what  tuning I managed to get.  Measures does some testing in his article
but into a balanced antenna if I remember correctly.

Dave
VE1VQ