[TenTec] field day from hell

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] field day from hell
From: wlfuqu00@uky.edu (Bill Fuqua)
Date: Thu Jul 17 11:43:21 2003
The Human ear and its associated processor (the human brain) works very
well. I wonder if there has ever been a real study on the usefulness of DSP
in communications situations where adaptive noise reduction is used. It
perhaps may reduce strain and fatigue by performing some pre-filtering for
the operator.

By the way. I never got an answer about the "noise blanker" in the new
Argonaut V.

I was wanting to hear from someone who has been able to compare the noise
blanking function of the Argonaut V with some other radio with an effective
noise blanker. The one in the Argonaut V is not a real noise blanker. It
uses the DSP. And by doing the noise pulses have been passed thru a fairly
narrow bandpass filter that convolutes the high amplitude narrow pulses
into low amplitude, long pulses that are difficult if in not impossible
to  to actually blank out.

If someone can do a side by side comparison of the Argonaut V and another
radio with a good noise blanker and email the results to  me, I would
appreciate it. This is one reservation I have about buying an Argonaut V.

73
Bill wa4lav

73
Bill wa4lav